The Bogyoke Market (Scott Market) is the second-most visited destination in Yangon by foreign tourists. Over 2000 shops sell numerous items; bags, tapestries, rattan, herbal medicines, traditional costumes of ethnic tribes and antiques. Virtually any item can be found somewhere in the market. It is a treasure trove for handmade crafts. One of the best buys is the original works of Myanmar artists. World renowned Myanmar rubies and quality sapphires are among the most popular items available at the market. If you want or need a specific product, most probably, it can be found at the Bogyoke Market.
The Kyaik Khauk Pagoda (Thanlyin) is situated on the main hillock of Thanlyin. The stupa is enshrined with a Buddha’s hair relic. Over 800 years ago, Mon Kings erected this stupa. In the Satta matka pagoda, there are tombs of two famous Myanmar poets of the 15th century (Natshinnaung and Dartukalyar).
Bago is a city 50 miles from Yangon, taking about to hours to reach by car. On the way you can visit the Kyaikhtiyo Pagoda in Mon State.
The 100 year old Shwe Tha Lyaung Buddha image is the second largest reclining Buddha in Myanmar. It is 74m long, 21 m high and can be seen at the edge of town.
The Shwemawdaw Pagoda, in Bago, stands at a height of 114m. It is the most famous great pagoda in Myanmar. Built over 1000 years ago by the Mons, it was originally 23 m high and enshrined 2 hairs of the Buddha. Over the years, the pagoda was rebuilt to increase its size. It continued to be built and rebuilt until, finally, after destruction by an earthquake, Shwemawdaw was built to its present height in 1954. The pagoda is guarded by lions with Buddha statues in their mouths.
The Shwemokhtaw Pagoda is situated in Pathein, a city some 120 miles west of Yangon. This pagoda was built over two thousand years ago. Over this time, it has passed through three distinguished Eras under three different titles.In the first Era, it was that the emperor more widely known as Siridammasoka of Pataliputta in India was the first builder of this historic shrine in the year 289 B.E, naming it as “Shweana. The year 457 B.E(new era after systematic elimination) represented the second Era, when Aloungsithu a well-known traveller and King of the Bagan dynasty, the reigning monarch of Paukkanrama (ancient name for the present day Bagan town on the middle Ayeyarwaddy, which is famous throughout the world for its pagodas and shrines). This King raised and enlarged this magnificent stupa renaming it as “Htupayon Samodda Gosa and Ommadanti, the then rulers of Pathein with its thirty one statues, distinguished themselves as the ruling donors of the Third Era, who made significant improvements to the shrine altering the name Htupayon to “Shwe Mokhtawae” which is the name it has today.